7 Northern Virginia Flooring Tips & Trends
It pays to think from the ground up, when your planning a Northern Virginia home remodeling project — whether it's one room, a bathroom, or your entire home . Typically, when people enter a room the first thing they tend to notice is...you guessed it. The Flooring ; your flooring dramatically ties together all of the cabinets, furniture, appliances and décor into one distinctive and welcoming design.
Within the four main categories of flooring, (Natural Wood, Engineered Hardwoods, Tile and Carpet), there are hundreds, even thousands of flooring textures, patterns and colors to choose from. How do you know which one is right for you or your home? Well that depends on finding the right balance of fashion and functionality. Here are the 7 Northern Virginia Flooring Tips & Trends.
Before we show our clients a single sample or patch, we discuss these seven topics:
1. Traffic — Kitchens, stairwells and hallways tend to wear more often and easily because they get a lot of foot traffic ; while bedroom and bathroom floors, not so much. Natural Hardwood Floors in a wide variety of textures and stains are durable, beautiful and, according to USA Today, highly coveted by homebuyers. This Loudoun County home remodel in Ashburn features gorgeous wood stairs.
2. Spills — Dining Rooms, family rooms and kitchens, can be prone to spills from dropped pates, drinks, paint, etc. A little mess every now and then should be easy to clean up without causing permanent damage. This Engineered Hardwood floor in a Loudoun County Home Remodeling project (above), looks like real wood but doesn’t easily crack and won’t warp or discolor if spills are cleaned up quickly. Vinyl Plank flooring, on the other hand pictured below in a Fairfax County kitchen remodel, also looks like natural wood, but is spill and slip resistant, extremely comfortable to walk on, and very cost-effective.
3. Scratches — Families with dogs, cats or kids will definitely want to invest in flooring that doesn't easily scratch or scuff. Engineered hardwood flooring is a great option for areas with high pet or foot traffic. If you have your heart completely set on natural wood, a light hardscape will provide a beautiful rustic look that will allow light dings and scratches to blend in. Carpeting, like in this Loudoun County master bedroom and bathroom remodel in Ashburn, VA, allows furniture to be moved about without risk of scratches, scuffs or gouging. Waterproof carpet padding will further reduce the risk of mold and mildew.
4. Moisture — Besides direct spills, flooring can potentially be exposed to both visible & hidden moisture that can cause mildew, discoloration and warping. Flooring around dog bowls, sinks, laundry and dishwashing machines, showers and tubs, foyers and mudrooms are magnets for moisture. Tile is a great option for the mudroom/laundry room where tracked in mud, leaking suds and water puddles won’t cause lasting damage. The tile in this Loudoun County bathroom remodel holds up extremely well to humidity and near constant moisture in the bathroom.
5. Accents — When choosing the flooring for your Northern Virginia home remodel, always keep in mind that flooring cannot be changed as easily as painting a room. This means that you should choose a flooring installation that is somewhat neutral in order to allow the greatest variety of furniture, cabinet, appliance, window treatment and wall color options. When choosing for your northern virginia kitchen remodel or bathroom remodel, colorful tile can be employed as an accent — along the sink backsplash area, or inside the shower, as done for this master bathroom remodel in Loudoun County.
6. Care & Cleaning — Always keep in mind when considering your flooring installation options, the health of you and those who are in the household with you. If your if your family has asthma or allergies, flooring options like carpet can increase exposure to dust, dirt and dust mites. Other flooring options like ceramic tiles with dark grout, engineered hardwood flooring and darker hardwood, as seen in this Fairfax County bar remodel, can hide dirt for longer, though weekly deep cleanings are always recommended.
7. Comfort — Carpeting in the living & family rooms of a home can turn every inch into seating space for movie & game night. Cork floors, like in this newly remodeled Leesburg wine cellar, are ideal to control humidity; they’re also soft on the feet and protect wine bottles that tip over.